Stain search engine
Remove red wine stain from carpet or rug
Solution for your Red wine stain
You would like a solution for your red wine stain or perhaps you have one of the related stains: red wine, wino, wine stains, wine, white wine, rosé, champagne. Your carpet or rug must of course look spotless again soon! Don't panic, our solutions will assist you and ensure that you will get your carpet or rug in top condition again; and keep it that way.
What is very important: do not use home-garden-and-kitchen remedies on your carpet or rug! These have not been tested and are certainly not specially formulated for your carpet or rug. Did you know that many manufacturers actively recommend the use of James products on their materials? In collaboration with those manufacturers, we test their material in our laboratory in order to offer you the best possible solution. Quickly find out the best solution for your Red Wine, Wino, Wine Stains, Wine, White Wine, Rosé, Champagne stains and which product you might need for that!
Solution for your red wine stain on carpet or rug
A red wine stain is in many cases easy to remove. Also similar stains, like from white wine, rosé and champagne, are usually properly to remove. In fact, the age of the stain makes no difference for the products of James. Even to remove an old red wine stain is no problem, as long as you meanwhile didn’t use any other (wrong) products and methods. That means that in case of a two year old red wine stain there’s still very much a chance to remove it successfully and without difficulty with the help of James Stain Wonder (the product does the job).
The well-known “tips from grandma” however are most dangerous. For example, it is important that you never use salt nor white wine on a red wine stain. These methods never guarantee to be satisfactory, but may permanently damage your carpet or upholstery. Salt fixes namely colors, you run the risk that the red wine color is fixed, and then no longer can be removed. The result is often an even darker red stain. White wine contains sugars which cause faster re-soiling. Sugars are sticky residues (like e.g. soap, which you should also never use). These residues will over time sooner attract dirt and cause black stains. For more information about red wine stains please read our blog post “the notorious red wine stain”.
Follow our instructions to remove safely and effectively among others red wine stains from your carpet or upholstery. Use the following links for the exact instructions if you didn’t arrive on the right page: red wine stains from upholstery, sofa, chair or car seat, remove red wine stains from rug or carpet.
Treatment of fresh stains
Immediate treatment with water
This stain can be treated immediately with water. For this you need a white, cotton cloth and water. Then follow these steps:
- First remove, as far as possible, any loose substances using a spoon.
- Immediately hold a white cotton cloth under the cold tap, wring it out and place it flat on the stain.
- Leave the cotton cloth in place to dry completely, no peeking. Should the cloth become saturated, replace it with a fresh one as described above. Then leave the cloth until it is completely dry.
Treatment of dried stains
Treat with James Stainwonder
This stain can be treated with James Stainwonder. All you need is a bottle of James Stainwonder!
- Test for colour and material resistance in an inconspicuous area: apply, let it dry completely and evaluate.
- Allow the surface to dry completely.
- Apply James Stainwonder on the dry stain by holding the bottle upside down, placing the opening of the bottle on the stain and then treat the entire stain.
- The product works for 12 hours, so the effect does not have to be visible immediately.*
- Is the stain not completely gone after treatment, but it has improved? You may repeat the treatment.
* With wool: in the vast majority of cases, James Stainwonder does not cause any discolouration. You have already established this by testing the product in an inconspicuous area as described above. In that case, you do not need to carry out the following step. If a (slight) discolouration did occur, you should neutralise James Stainwonder as soon as the stain has disappeared. In this case, immediately place a damp cotton cloth on the spot where the stain was and let it dry.